Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Talking Space



J: Listening, "This American Life" - 24 hour diner.

L: Cast of characters, Joyce's love of the flaneur/stranger,
(Leopold Bloom walking Dublin endlessly, but also his alienation in a socially & racially homogeneous city as a Jewish man)

Maybe we don't have to read Ulysses...Dubliners does many of the same things, but is much more accessible.

Internetz also pointed me towards "Mrs Dalloway", which I have actually read!

J: Joyce-Bloom, just occurred to me the book, "A Curious Impulse" (UCD MA) also focused on domestic and character- worth a look for sure.

Sebastian Fawlks also, "Engleby"- stranger/pervert??...outcast, alienation, intense character development.

Still mainly drawn to cities for some reason-even though site doesn't call for this!...perhaps need to also look to village/ small town...Mc Gahern or the likes, well maybe not Mc Gahern!

L: Tell me more about the "A Curious Impulse"...

Sebastian Faulks, good suggestion haven't read him, but am sure you can direct me to the best of his back catalogue!

Cities actually kind of make sense to me as the setting, though I am open to investigation of village simultaneously (of course!). Dubliners & Joyce interesting because he straddles both worlds.

J: Indeed agree with your Joycian musings- perhaps we could have a race to the end of Ulysses!

Curious Impulse bought in the winding stair features in the bear hat photos!

Umm Faulks yes-maybe viaale in "Through the windows of wonder", bit sentimental but you would appreciate the ironic sub-text!

What would happen if the cast were to be displaced? Out of context characters...

L: I love ironic sub texts!

What I like so much about the cast is that they can be take on many different roles throughout the entire process- I had considered that a moment of displacement would occur by way of programme we are looking at the moment. Do you know what I mean? I'm not really being clear enough. I guess my point is that in the practise of everyday life, all our "characters" are displaced at regular intervals, and that our context is ever changing.

(we are sometimes out of context, sometimes we adapt, chameleon-like, to where we find ourselves).

No comments:

Post a Comment